Thursday, June 15, 2017

Camp Aunt Lacie 2017-Day 3

We decided that since Tuesday was our only day we didn't have an evening obligation, we needed to take a road trip! I have lived in Kansas pretty much all of my life and April was the first time I had visited the state capitol building! So, I thought it was important for my kids and for my niece who were all three born in Kansas, to see it! So after Emmitt got his teeth cleaned and evaluated by his dentist, off we went!

First stop: The Kansas State Capitol Building!


We stopped for lunch about 60 miles from Topeka.

I let the kids get some energy out.



After about 2.5 hours after leaving home, we made it!

 Cue "Gonna Fly Now" from Rocky!




They made it!
This is not how I remember seeing pictures of it when I was a kid! More on that later!


Flag with 34 stars for the 34th state in the union. One serious and one silly!

So, THIS is how I recall seeing the capitol building in pictures. They completely referbished the dome. Below is a picture of the kids standing right next to the window that the arrow in the above picture is pointing to.


Again, serious and silly!

I had to put them all in time out!

Woodson County, named for one of our ancestors on my maternal grandfather's side of the family (the same side we are related to the infamous James brothers on as well).

Sedgwick County where we are from and three of these feet were born in!


Emmitt loved the gold doors. Serious and silly!

After a trip to the gift shop where we purchased some touristy Kansas swag (Charis and Emmitt chose a Kansas pin, Jesstine chose a rad bracelet that we later discovered changes colors in heat or cold, Lexi chose some beeswax lip balm and we found a Kansas mug for my sister, Grace), we headed to a local children's museum. I really wish they had this in Wichita! We had it when I was a kid and I have some great memories of it!

There was a wall with word magnets! :-) A new favorite picture!

When he saw this, he was in HEAVEN!!! Future mechanic?

He wouldn't crawl under the car, but he let Jesstine do it!

He assisted!

Charis learning how to change a tire.



Emmitt's turn!

Future Pit Crew Chief? 

Smiley Lexi!

J!

L!

C!

E!

There was an amazing (although at times frustrating) woodworking section! They had drills, saws, screw drivers, hammers, nails, screws and caps to help kids create! They had some pretty cool creations!

Goggles for safety! :-)

Bet you can't guess what Emmitt made! 

Creations complete!

They even had a pretty cool building.

Emmitt's car didn't really work on his face, but he tried anyway!


In Him,
The Hutchins (and Evans) Family

No comments:

Post a Comment