Saturday, June 16, 2012

Homemade Father's Day!

It is Father's Day. I wanted to do something different this year than I did last year. I made everything by hand and had the kids' (well, Jesstine's anyhow) input. Last year I had cards made for my Handsome Husband (HH), his dad and my step dad. I didn't even get a card this year. I put two ideas together. The first was a puzzle of the kids' picture! I got the idea from my friend Kaylee, HERE!

 First I printed one of my favorite pictures of the kids at Walmart as an 8x10.


I had some poster board leftover from Jesstine's summer bucket list.

I used rubber ceament to past the picture to the poster board. (In hindsight, I may have tried a different method. I am not sure what, but this proved to not work so well when I cut the pieces out later.)

 For good measure, I sprayed it with this stuff. I remember my high school art teacher spraying everything with this stuff to protect it. I got some when I was redoing Jesstine's name sign for her bedroom.

After it was dry, I drew puzzle pieces on the back. I used a ruler as a straight edge to evenly space them (the spacing was mostly by eyeball). Then I used a puzzle piece to draw the round parts randomly. Afterward, I cut it out (and here is where I had to reglue several pieces that were coming apart).

After that, I created a label on my computer. I used publisher, but you could use just about anything.

Here is the finished product! The hearts next to it are interviews that I did with the kids (I interviewed Jesstine, but made up the ones for Emmitt). I got the idea for the interview on Pinterest from THIS website. I remember folding these hearts in HS to pass notes to friends. Decided to fold them like that and put them in the jar with the puzzle pieces.

Happy Father's Day to the best daddy I have ever known! You aren't my daddy, but I prayed for you for so long! You are the perfect daddy for my children and they know you love them! It is obvious by the look on your son's face when he sees you and the squeals of delight from your daughter as she watches you "SPUDOW" on the XBox! :-)

In Him,
The Hutchins Family

No comments:

Post a Comment